Tuesday, September 09, 2008

From an Undecided Republican

TODAY, I received in my inblox the September Statement of Micheal Smerconish, conservative Philadelphia radio talk show host. He re-introducers himself to his listeners (I've never heard his show) and tells them how he wants to cover the campaign over the next eight weeks. He also tells them why, for the first time in his life, he remains undecided about his presidential choice. It's a great read, full of level-headed analyses of both candidates. It contains a defense of Barack Obama that I feel compelled to repeat here, emphasis mine:

I have never met Barack Obama but I think I have a good understanding of his background. It's a far cry from McCain's pedigree, but it is a similarly uniquelyAmerican story. I find the Internet lore spread about him to be despicable. The more untruths anonymous spammers spread abouthim, the more inclined I am to defend him. There are certainly aspects of his limited experience and his associations that are game for analysis and criticism, but he deserves a fair fight.

While some look at Obama and question his love of country, I see a man who is a great source of inspiration to many. I was in the audience for his speech on race in Philadelphia, and was part of the crowd at Invesco Field when he accepted the Democratic nomination for president. His popularity is an attribute not a liability. I too want a leader who is respected and admired at home and internationally, and yes, I am anxious to break the barriers that have heretofore prevented a woman or African American to serve as vice president or president.

Back in June, the final paragraph of a lengthy New York Times story had a quote from him that hangs with me. He said; "I love when I'm shaking hands on a rope line and"- he mimes the motion, hand over hand - "I see little old white ladies and big burly black guys and Latino girls and all their hands are entwining. They're feeding on each other as much as on me. It's like I'm just the excuse."

Call me a hopeless romantic, but I believe he can do a world of good by bringing people of diverse backgrounds together. There is a quality about him that I find genuine, and I think he is unquestionably of fine intellect.

Read the entire article
.

3 comments:

Third Mom said...

Barack Obama has inspired my brother, a staunch Republican, too. My brother works in the auto industry, and has seen through the rhetoric. Americans know what real change is, and it isn't the Republican ticket.

rikyrah said...

thanks for this, craig. I think there are a lot of folks that see the truth. I think there are those that are fearful of the unknown, but I think they can be reached.

muriel may campbell said...

This post reminded me of my Obama moment, the realization that Barack Obama is an exquisite gentleman,

as well as a political figure who can pen his own speeches and debate the issues squarely, without apology or angst.
That was a good day.