Wednesday, November 28, 2007

There's A Mink In My House!



And I'm not talking about a coat.

I was sitting in my office suite this morning and out of the corner of my eye I saw movement. Lo and behold, a dark gray mink was sitting in the adjoining room checking me out.

I know I live on a farm and alla that, but I didn't sign up for wildlife in my office suite. A mouse here or there in the wintertime is one thing, but a mink??!!!

The little critter looked at me and didn't even run that far away when I screamed. He kept trying to peep me from behind trunks and chairs and woodpiles. It's a rather cute little animal, I must say, with it's tiny head and beady eyes. But it doesn't belong in my house.

I set up a Havahart trap with a large chunk of tuna fish as bait per animal control instructions and as you might expect, it's been more than a few hours and the critter hasn't shown up again.

The way the mink kept looking at me with such a friendly face, the way it simply refused to run away, I'm beginning to wonder if a beloved spirit wasn't just dropping by to say hello.

5 comments:

Bernie said...

Can you say, "Mink-lined gloves!"

wbg said...

If you tell him that your sister in law is looking for a purse mayby he will leave????:))

Craig Hickman said...

Wilma, that is so funny.

StinkyLulu said...

I've had a coyote in the driveway, a bobcat in the backyard, and a rattlesnake on the deck -- but a mink in the office?

You win.

Marley Greiner said...

Oh Craig, you should come visit me in Colunbus. And bring your mink!

10 years ago I had 3 raccoons inside my house. At night they'd sit at my bedroom door and chortle. I thought I could catch them by myself, but that didn't happen. I had to spend neary $1000 on "professional" help

All has been quiet until a couple
months ago when a possum showed up. The kitties were not amused. Neither was the possum. He crapped all over my window sill.

Finally, last week a bat fdecided to move into my upstairs. I have never seen a live bat in my life. All I could think of was rabies and Dracula. One of the kitties tried to catch it by climbing up the curtains, so I had to lock her (and myself) in the bedroom. It seems to have wended its way outside now.

And this is the city!