Sunday, June 01, 2008

I'm Going to Denver!

It is with great awe that I report that I was elected yesterday as a delegate to the Democratic National Convention in August.

I follow politics. I don't run for stuff.

But we're talkin about history here. So I motivated my black self to get over myself and give myself the opportunity to participate in this history up close and personal.

Even though barely no one in Maine knew who I was before the state convention began on Friday evening, I campaigned my ass off Friday night and Saturday afternoon before my congressional district voted, gave performance art presentations about why I needed to go to Denver on two occasions, I came in 5th place out of 6 for elected delegates from my district.

I'm in awe.

Even though I reside in the third largest county, which is really small compared to the top two counties in my congressional district, a district with more than half the state's population; and even though I wasn't able before the vote to speak before the two largest counties, because each county caucuses separately, and after all the votes were counted, I got enough enough to make the slate.

I was able, however, to address all the state delegates in my own county at our caucus. And I received a vote on every single ballot cast in Kennebec county.

I'm still in awe.

The guy who came in 6th place? A state representative from the most populous county in the district.

I'm still in awe.

I will be on the floor of the national convention with full credentials to nominate the Democratic ticket for the 2008 presidential election.

Barack Obama will be at the top of it.

I'm still in awe.

At some point over the next day or so when I come back to earth, I'm going to do a full diary about the Maine convention with photos.

I hope.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! Both on your election, and on "giving yourself the opportunity!" I am in awe -- you get to make history!!

Anonymous said...

The awe's contagious. I'm in awe too.
Congratulations, Craig.

muriel may campbell said...

God Bless you, again, Craig for doing what your spirit has guided you to do. You have the voice and now you get to use it.
We need to give gratitude and break bread together; to celebrate this history in the making!
You had friends on the floor on Sat, make no mistake.
I can hardly wait to share this with Steve. He was one of those friends.
Wisdom knows Wisdom

muriel may campbell said...

A Coincidence,I have to share with you.
After reading your post today, I opened a small booklet with the Constitution proofed word for word against the original Constitution housed in the Archives in Washington, DC. We got an extra copy and I would like to give you one to take with you to Denver.
On pg 3 there is a quote by G.W., stated to delegates to the Constitutional Convention.

"If, to please the people, we offer what we ourselves disapprove, how can we afterwards defend our work? Let us raise a standard to which the wise and the honest can repair. The event is in the hand of God,"
George Washington

I believe the standard has been raised and the wise and the honest will be in Denver to repair. This event is in the hand of God. Amen

wbg said...

Wow, congratulations!!! Must be great!
Have a safe trip back to earth;)