Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hickman in the Press II

RACE FOR THE STATE HOUSE

October 17

Political newcomer, three-term incumbent vie for House seat


Pair contest House District 82

By Betty Adams
Staff Writer

WINTHROP -- A fellow Winthrop resident is challenging three-term incumbent Patrick Flood for the right to represent House District 82 and become only the third black person to serve in the Maine Legislature.

Democrat Craig V. Hickman, 47 [sic], is seeking his first elective office.

Hickman has a bachelor's degree in government from Harvard University, spent a decade or so traveling the country as a performance artist, and since 2002 has operated an organic farm as well as a bed and breakfast on 25 acres bordering Annabessacook Lake.

"I'm running for the people," Hickman said. "I think that in a healthy democracy, people need a choice. That's why I'm running -- I want to give the people a choice. I hear the people; they're a little bit angry and frustrated, and I'm doing something about that to put myself out there."

Read the rest...

No comments: